- Alternatives to Linux
- "Linux is only free if your time is worthless." Author unknown
- Linux is pronounced Linnucks (NOT Lie-nux) and was created by Linus (pronounced Lee-nus) Torvalds.
- Why Linux?
- Introduction to Linux (LFS101) - Linux Foundation - Training - $0
- Books & References
- System76 - Linux Laptops, Desktops, and Servers
- Windows 10 (Fall 2017)
- Gemini PDA Android & Linux keyboard mobile device | Indiegogo
- Everything You Need to Migrate Your Home Office to Linux
- The Best Linux Software
- 5 YouTube Videos to Help You Get Started with Linux
- The Current State Of the New Linux Desktop Environment, Plasma 5 - 2015-04-15
- 9 Questions New Linux Users Always Ask
- Linux For Dummies Cheat Sheet - dummies
- How to Install Linux on a Chromebook - 2014-02-14
- Distros = there are at least 365 different Distributions of Linux
- LPS = U.S. Dept. of Defense offers up tiny (135MB), secure Linux distribution = Lightweight Portable Security (LPS)
LPS can be used on either a PC or Mac and does not require the installation of anything and no hard drive access at all. Running it from a CD means there is absolutely no way the OS can be compromised, and even if it runs from a USB stick the chances are very small that an infection can happen, especially as it executes entirely in RAM sandbox. The number of applications included is small, but functional.
- Running Linux from USB: Are You Doing It Right?
- Linux Mint
- Red Hat
- Mandriva (formerly Mandrake)
- See also: TechRepublic
- It's Your Choice: The Top 10 Linux Desktop Environments - 2014-05-15
- Apache Web Server
- ATI Technologies Inc.
- Cygwin (to practice using a Unix style command shell, say bash or korn, from within Windows 2000)
- Debian - $0
- FUNET - ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/Linux/doc/
- JustLinux: Wanna learn Linux?
- Linux Mint
- Linux Professional Institute
- Linuxnewbie.org : Wanna learn Linux?
- Puppy Linux - a live-CD distro
- Red Hat - Fedora Documentation :: Fedora Docs Site
- Slashdot: News for nerds, stuff that matters
- Slax: The Do-It-Yourselfer's Linux
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop by Novell
- tux.org (for kernel developers)
- WinLinux 2000
- Xandros Desktop OS 3 Deluxe Edition
Alternatives to Linux
Apache Web Server
Getting rid of Linux
Dale loaded Red Hat Linux on his 100MHz Aptiva, and now he can't reinstall Windows. Every time he boots from a DOS floppy, LILO (the Linux Loader) chokes after "LI." He also pulled the battery on his CMOS to wipe all its settings out. (Urg...)
First, I'd check your BIOS settings to make sure you're looking to boot from your floppy, then your hard drive. Right now, it sounds as if your system defaulted to booting from the hard drive. Then I'd boot using the Windows/DOS disk, and see if I FDISK and format the drive with a format/MBR. That'll clean up the master boot record.
If you can't format or FDISK the drive, it probably has a Linux partition on it that DOS can't deal with. You'll need to run a Linux tool to wipe it. The closest one at hand is probably the one on the RedHat install disk. Just exit the install after you've wiped the Linux partitions.