- Lariam (= Mefloquine = Mephaquine) Mefloquine should be considered strictly as a treatment drug, not a preventative. Neuro-toxicity. Side-effects may begin with diarrhea (not necessarily 'disabling'). The disabling 'unwanted effects' can be dizziness, lethargy, insomnia, 'pins-and-needles', severe headache or migraine, uncontrollable anxiety, unexplained depression, and sometimes developing further into symptoms as severe as a violent mood shift, fits and seizures, panic attacks, and serious psychosis ('detachment from reality'). These are the so-called neuro-psychiatric effects.The residual effects of mefloquine can last years. Mefloquine is not recommended for divers because: it may have adverse side-effects on the sense of balance; it may induce side-effects which could be mis-diagnosed as neurological decompression illness; it may adversely interact with the effects of raised partial pressure of nitrogen. Combined with other problems (allergies; epilepsy; kidney or liver or heart complaints; pregnancy) or other drugs (beta-blockers; any other anti-malarial drug; halofantrine), Mefloquine can be fatal.
- Doxycycline (= Vibramycin) May increase photosensitivity (susceptibility to sunburn).
- Chloroquine. Often combined with proguanil. (Aralene?)
- Avoid being bitten
- 7 ways to keep the bugs away - Canadian Living
- Natural Insect Repellents
- Deet (30%-35%)
- Permethrin (= Duranon). Spray on clothing and bedroom surfaces. Lasts a couple of weeks. Look in pet supply stores. Permethrin (synthetic) and Pyrethrin (natural product) seem to be used in different situations?
- Mosquito bednetting treated with permethrin
- Mortein Fly & Mozzie Zapper. Destroys all flies and mosquitoes in the room for about 10 hours. Just plug in. (Allethrin, Phenothrin) Samuel Taylor, 33 Hope St, Ermington, NSW 2115, Australia
- Wear long sleeves, long pants, etc.
- Stay indoors at dusk and dawn. (Anopheles mosquitoes)
- How to Protect Yourself from Biting and Stinging Insects